Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekly Fishing Report



Being unemployed isn't that bad, I now know. I've had lots of time to fish and even squeezed in a guide trip this week.

On Tuesday, Paddy, Keith, and I went over to the Lost for the first time this winter. I love nothing more than fishing the Lost in the winter. Huge numbers, huge fish, huge hatches. Of course it ended up being 20 degrees and the wind was blowing straight down the mountains from the Arctic. The fish weren't too stoked about the weather and neither were we. There were some fish and we had fun, though.

On Wednesday, I scouted for some fish on the Big Wood. After a slog to the river through melting snow, I got to the river and it looked awesome. I only saw one midge, but I managed to land the nice rainbow above on my first cast. A sure fire spot for my trip on Thursday.

On Thursday, I guided a nice couple from Seattle and I was feeling good about the fishing. It was sunny, calm, and warm. Midges showed up before noon and everything was looking good. It ended up being freakin' cold and windy and the fishing was awful. It was the first time I was ever skunked on a trip and I was horrified. I'm feeling a little better about it today since Paddy had a hard time on his trip too. Hopefully that will never happen again.

I'm working in the shop this weekend, but trying to make fishing plans for next week. Being a trout bum ain't that bad.

No comments: