Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chasing Tail--Texas Style


The Allied. A sweet Bahamian boat that's mahogany covered with fiberglass. She's heavy, but a beaut.

I've finally recovered from my "vacation" to Texas to do some redfishing. We left Goliad every morning between 4 and 5 and were out on the water all day. It was the first sun my body had seen in over six months, but my sunburn wasn't too bad. We had some funky weather while we were down there--it was downright cool--the people working at the ferry in Port Aransas were wearing coats and stocking hats! That made for some slow fishing, but we did catch some fish--mostly sea trout--and learned a TON for our next trip in October. We all learned to pole--only Pop fell in the water--we learned about different water, different flies, fish behavior, and saw a few new bird species. My favorite is the tri-colored heron--crazy hackle!


The boat broke down on Friday when we were trying to go in--it ended up being the ignition and a short in the engine. I did catch a sea trout while we were floating around the bay.


Being pulled back in to Goose Island by Captains Heard.


Paddy can't go to Texas without shooting a pig. It was awfully delicious on Mother's Day. YUM!

It's taken me a week to recover from my trip, but I'm already planning my next trip south--I see some big bull reds in my future.

No comments: